The Midway Boss: It's all quieted down
but for the sound
of the survivors settling in.
As early birds tuck in
there's a gypsy laugh, then,
a burst of flame and a laugh again.
Madame Ugly: Rumor is there's a new Sword Swallower coming.
The Midway Boss: Everyone's taste for Knife Throwing is running
out. That's the third time one's turned out
to be more than apparently doubtful.
The Devil: Wonder if the next swallower don't take more than a mouthful,
The Midway Boss: The acrobats jeer
at the Elephant Man out of habit.
The Magician's rabbit
changes from white to red.
The man who bites off heads,
thank God, went to bed.
He has a terrible problem with alcohol.
He often smashes rats against the wall
in a fevered frenzy.
Someone screams. He
It's hard to see
but the gypsy man with the blue-black eyes
gave the Tightrope Walker quite a surprise
back there behind the Ferris wheel.
And to the left the Gaffer makes a deal
with one of the Roustabouts.
The Lady with the 7 Veils
and the Elephant Man
ran off with the Barker's bite.
Over to the left there,
behind that curtain,
I will divine the night.
I don’t tell the future,
no, it's the night itself I read;
while primal popcorn bursts
and cotton candy spins
of dim and din
and games no one wins
drift up to dim the moon
and wither the trees.
The man biting heads off of rats turns
to eye small children with an ominous glare,
a carnivorous stare
and there - look - over there
the Bearded Lady Weeps
while the animal keeper sweeps
and the Fat Lady sings.
fall in rust-dulled clinks
on to the candy sticky ground.
The carousel spins round
with a madness and mind of it's own.
The Sword Swallower groans
as if he's met with accident.
A few stragglers shuffle, spent
on the dreams of jugglers and gypsy's.
You’ve been here before.
And you will be once more.
Repeat God’s Gonna Cut You Down – exit out with Conjurini still juggling fire.
The Mojo Sideshow's Links
- Lonesome Liz's Haunted Blog - Ghosts of Richmond and the Mojo Sideshow, ghost tours, ghost stories and more!
- Lonesome Liz on MySpace
- Global Mojo
- Cuzn Wildweed on MySpace
- Wes Freed in "Thrillbilly's", a film by Jim Stramel
- "Thrillbilly's" Soundtrack featuring The Shiners, The Drive by Truckers, Used Carlotta and more!
- "Watch America Roll By", a new CD by J.B. Beverley
- Gallery 5
- Costumes provided in part by Exile, Richmond, VA
- Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School
- The Vampire Tarot by Robert M. Place
- Dr. Beetles Conjuration Dolls
- Costumes provided in part by Exile
- The Art of Molly Crabapple
- The Art of Wes Freed
- The Art of Katelan Foisy
- Beneath the Half Moon, Katelan Foisy
- Constellation Magazine, Katelan Foisy
- Katelan Foisy's Knickerbocker Circus
- J.B. Beverley on MySpace
- The Art of Christoph Mueller
- The Mojo Sideshow on Facebook
- Death's Prologue
- The Devil
- Lonesome Liz Sells her Soul
- The Fun House Mirror
- The Barker
- The Ghosts of Edgar Allen Poe and Elmira Shelton
- The Midway
- Madame Ugly
- The Ghost of Evelyn Byrd
- The Snake Charmer
- The Tattooed Man from Borneo
- The Fortune Teller
- The Sword Swallower
- Hellbound Train
- The Ghosts of Church Hill Tunnel
- The Ghost of Gallery 5
- The Tightrope Walker
- The Ghost of Mann Page
- The Ghost of Judith Page
- The Contortionist
- The Ghost of Chimborozo
- The Sharpshooter and his Assistant
- The Lady With Three Eyes
- The Knife Thrower and his Wife
- ▼ May (27)